Tuesday, June 2, 2009

beginning of summer update

Hi friends,
I write to you just shortly past the "half way mark" of my support deadline. Frankly, that frightens me just a tiny! I really dont know where I'm at percentage-wise, but I'll just tell you I've got plenty far to go.

Currently my life involves working 20 hours/week for my uncle who owns a townhouse painting company-- "Moen Painting". So, I'm out there painting trim around tons and tons of cookie-cutter townhouses. Its a nice change from the last 7 summers of working at DQ! Of course along with work, I am raising support for STINT. So far its been a struggle for me to try to figure out a balance of what my daily and weekly schedule actually looks like and what it is "supposed to" look like. Crusade tells me I need to be working at least 25 hours on MPD (ministry partner development) but wowza-- I know that I am not at that yet! On a positive note, things are picking up-- I have 5 appointments this week which is nearer to my goal of 6 per week than I have had so far! Praise God!

I had a really encouraging meeting with a woman from my church tonight who represents the Missions Board. She said something so simple, yet so necessary for me to be reminded of: "Dont be discouraged by a 'no' or an uncomfortable phone call. You never know what God is going to do with it." Plus, she continued to remind me that GOD alone will provide-- more than anything that I can do to network or work at raising my support-- its all in His hands. She is talking with our missions pastor tomorrow about budget stuff, so I look forward to hearing back from her soon.

I feel as though my schedule has been so busy in these first few weeks of summer, and I am thankful that God prepared me for this in my last semester of school. I'm able to go, go, go.. back to back errands and things without feeling like I'm about to explode. Even though this is feasible for me, I sense myself drifting away from the peace that God provides, and the rest that I get from spending extended time with Him.

"Don't be deceived, my dear brothers. Every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly heights, who does not change like shifting shadows. He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of first fruits of all he created."
-James 1:16-18

Prayer requests:
1. That I would work diligently at MPD along with trusting God to provide for what I need
2. That a daily/weekly schedule would be made clear and that I would be prioritizing the right things at the right time
3. That my walk with the Lord would become more intimate and less forced; that I would be able to focus on Him and not all the things that I am doing or need to be doing.

1 comment:

  1. Emily, I am so encouraged by your diligence to seek support and your faith that God will provide. :) I am praying that God will give you joy in Him and that you will not be discouraged! As you seek to serve Him, He will certainly do His part to provide you with all you need!

    ReplyDelete

books to read

  • Jesus Without Religion, by Rick James
  • Every Woman's Battle, by Shannon Ethridge
  • Red Moon Rising, by Peter Greig
  • Communicating Christ Cross-Culturally, by David Hesselgrave
  • The Master Plan of Evangelism, by Robert Coleman
  • Let the Nations be Glad, by John Piper
  • Changes that Heal, by Henry Cloud
  • The Life you've Always Wanted, by John Ortberg
  • Jesus Wants to Save Christians, by Rob Bell
  • Living by the Book, by William Hendricks