Tuesday, July 21, 2009

good soil?

Mark 4:14-20
"The farmer sows the word. Some people are like seed along the path, where the word is sown. As soon as they hear it, Satan comes and takes away the word that was sown in them. Others, like seed sown on rocky places hear the word and at once receive it with joy. But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. Still others, like seed thrown among thorns, hear the word but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful. Others, like seed sown on good soil, hear the word, accept it and produce a crop--thirty, sixty or even a hundred times what was sown."

A few months ago I read the book "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. The book is all about 'luke-warm' Christianity, and how if we truly understand the CRAZY love that our God loves us with, we could never remain luke warm. I loved that book! It made me step back and really evaluate this comfortable Christianity that I've unfortunately grown used to. In one of the chapters of his book, Francis Chan cautions us: "do not assume you are good soil."

He goes on to write: "When we want God and a bunch of other stuff, then that means we have thorns in our soil. A relationship with God simply cannot grow when money, sins, activities, favorite sports teams, addictions or commitments are piled on top of it."

Has my relationship with God changed the way I live? I would joyfully and proudly say "YES!" But I think thats the problem... my pride. The changes in my life are not because of me! I should not be proud but I should be falling on my knees with the realization that I've taken my salvation for granted! There are so many people living empty, hopeless lives without the hope of Christ! Meanwhile, I sit back and sacrifice very little out of thankfulness, adoration and love for God.

So thanks for the warning Mr. Chan! I've assumed myself to be full of good soil, but have come to realize that I've let the thorns of my appearance, my pride, my agenda, my 'Christian activities', my apathy and my laziness get in the way of the seed thats been planted in my heart.

God, I confess that I've taken my walk with you for granted. Its become You, me and 100 other things on my list of priorities... several of which I have placed above you. You're all I want, and I pray that you would transform my heart into that of good soil. Clear out all these thorns! Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I am starting "Crazy Love" right now and so far it is great! I love your posts...I'm reading them at school right now (but don't worry the students aren't here yet).

    Keep the updates coming my dear!!

    ReplyDelete

books to read

  • Jesus Without Religion, by Rick James
  • Every Woman's Battle, by Shannon Ethridge
  • Red Moon Rising, by Peter Greig
  • Communicating Christ Cross-Culturally, by David Hesselgrave
  • The Master Plan of Evangelism, by Robert Coleman
  • Let the Nations be Glad, by John Piper
  • Changes that Heal, by Henry Cloud
  • The Life you've Always Wanted, by John Ortberg
  • Jesus Wants to Save Christians, by Rob Bell
  • Living by the Book, by William Hendricks